Refugee Resource Center

Employer Discrimination/Your Right to Work

Refugees and asylees have the right to work because of their status.

If you are having any of the following problems then you should seek help:

  • If you feel that you are being treated unfairly by your employer
  • If you were fired from your job because of an expired ID card
  • If you are refused a job because your employer says you’re not allowed to work
  • If you need to know what documents to give to your employer

Contact Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid at 512-374-2700 or US Department of Justice Worker Hotline at 800-255-7688. Here’s how they can assist you:

  • They can talk to you using a phone interpreter
  • They can call employers and explain your right to work and the proper ways to verify your refugees status
  • When necessary, they can provide you with forms if you want to charge your employer with discrimination and investigate your employer.




    Follow us on Facebook

    Updates, news, events and more at