Refugees and asylees have the right to work because of their status.
If you are having any of the following problems then you should seek help:
- If you feel that you are being treated unfairly by your employer
- If you were fired from your job because of an expired ID card
- If you are refused a job because your employer says you’re not allowed to work
- If you need to know what documents to give to your employer
Contact Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid at 512-374-2700 or US Department of Justice Worker Hotline at 800-255-7688. Here’s how they can assist you:
- They can talk to you using a phone interpreter
- They can call employers and explain your right to work and the proper ways to verify your refugees status
- When necessary, they can provide you with forms if you want to charge your employer with discrimination and investigate your employer.